How I can help my child at home?
There are lots of ways to help your child practise reading...
- Listen to your child read every day. Help them decode a word by sounding out. Ask questions about the book they have read.
- Make sure you pronounce the sounds correctly. See the relevant link.
- Read to your child at a level that is more advanced, so they are exposed to a variety of interesting language.
- Visit the library regularly.
- Play different word games like scrabble, I spy, I went shopping.
- Have a word of the day!
- Visit websites for extra practise. See the relevant link.
- Try to encourage your child to spot familiar words in signs, advertisements, and posters when you are out and about!
- Encourage children to write lists, emails, letters or a diary and use their sounds to spell.
- Always approach your class teacher for more advice or any question you may have.